8 Top points To Consider While Buying\Choosing A Sunscreen
Going to the beach, or shopping, or simply hanging out with friends? Don’t forget to wear your sunscreen. No matter how the weather is – sunny or cloudy – you need to apply sunscreen to protect your skin from damage. The sun’s harmful UV rays not only cause suntan, but can also cause your skin to age prematurely.
Here are 8 essential points to be remembered while choosing the best sunscreen.
1. Date Of Manufacture
The fresher the sunscreen, the better the efficacy of the product. The ingredients in the sunscreen tend to break down very easily, even while on the shelf. Hence, it is important to buy the freshest stock possible. Try and get through with one before buying another so that no sunscreen is stocked in your closet till its expiry.
2. Sunscreen Should Not Contain Dangerous Ingredients
Check the ingredients list on the package. This will help you know if the sunscreen contains oxybenzone, a hormone disruptor that causes allergic reactions.
3. Always Choose a Creamy Sunscreen Instead of Spray Or Powder
Spray and powder sunscreens are mineral-based and contain nano particles that can enter the bloodstream and cause various health issues. Avoid such products and stick to cream-based sunscreens.
4. A Sunscreen That Offers SPF 30 Protection Or Higher
Always check the SPF range mentioned on the sunscreen package. Anything above SPF 15 is considered decent protection. But if you want foolproof protection, go for a sunscreen offering SPF 30 or above.
5. Presence Of Titanium Dioxide Or Zinc Oxide
When checking the ingredient list, look for titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. These are ingredients added to the product for UV protection. But zinc oxide can make your face look pale and ghostly. They are also harmful for the skin.
6. Water And Sweat Resistance
If you are going for a walk or to the beach, using a water and sweat-resistant sunscreen is a must.
7. No Stinging
Your sunscreen should not sting your face or body. If your sunscreen ‘bites’ you, then it’s time to throw it out and buy something that is comfortable and suits your skin type.
8. Acne-prone Skin
Water-based sunscreens are available in the market. If you have an oily or acne-prone skin, use a water-based sunscreen. These do not cause your skin to break out like oil-based creams.
Important Tips To Be Followed While Applying Sunscreen
- Apply the sunscreen 30 minutes before stepping out in the sun.
- You can wear sunscreen under your makeup as well.
- Try and wear cotton clothes when you are stepping out. They have a SPF of 4.
- Stay indoors when UV radiation is at its highest i.e. between noon and early evening.
- Wear sunglasses when stepping out.
- Wear a cap, a scarf, or a stole to protect yourself from the sun.
Prevention is better than cure. Buying a good sunscreen will help your skin remain healthy, young, and beautiful. But don’t just pick any product off the shelves. Look for a sunscreen that best suits your skin type. Let us know how you keep yourself safe under sun.
Feel free to share and leave your comment below.